Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Neely's Cookies and Cream Cake

Mmmmm, this was so delicious! The recipe was adapted from the Neely's recipe. I changed the order in which the ingredients were mixed because the original directions were really odd. I love Oreos and they did wonders for an otherwise simple chocolate cake. I know I've expressed that I do not love chocolate in the past, but we sure make lots of chocolate desserts. I make it because Matt loves chocolate so much and it makes him happy. Plus, it's easy for me to resist it; unless the chocolate comes in the form of the flourless chocolate cookies. I hope ya'll enjoy this cake as much as we did! I used all my Oreo crumbs, but sprinkling some on top would make this cake even more beautiful!

On a serious note, please support Haiti and check out the cookbook that 27 foodie bloggers created as a fundraiser...how cool! You can go to the website by clicking here and can purchase a soft or hardbound cookbook!



Neely's Cookies and Cream Cake

Ingredients
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 C all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 C granulated sugar
  • 1.5 t baking powder
  • .5 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 3 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
  • 1 C unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 C buttermilk
  • 1.5 C finely chopped Oreos
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat your cake pans w/shortening. Cut out a piece of wax or parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of your cake pan, and press down; it will stick to the shortening. I usually trace the bottom of the cake pan onto my wax paper and then cut it out. No fear of your cake sticking anymore!!
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolk, and butter milk; mix until the eggs are blended. In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the melted butter to the egg and buttermilk mixture. Beat until smoth, about 3 minutes. Add the crumbled cookies and beat until incorporated.
Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans and bake approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool, on a rack, in the pan for 5-10 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a rack and let cool completely. When cooled, frost with the cookies and cream cheese frosting!
Cookies and Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 (8 oz.) pacakges cream cheese, softened
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 3 3/4 C confectioners' sugar
  • 1.5 C finely crumbed Oreos
Directions
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the salt and vanilla; blend. Add the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 C at a time, until smooth. Beat in the crumbled cookies. Frost the cookie cake and enjoy!







Brown Sig

1 comment:

  1. I don't care what anyone says, I flippin' love the Neelys. I mean, I get that the 10 references to giving each other some "brown sugar" in every episode can be a little much, but I always think their food looks fantastic. This cake is no exception! Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete