Monday, February 22, 2010

My Favorite Soup Recreated

Stuffed green pepper soup has always been my favorite soup.  It's so warm, yummy, fresh, and filling.  It's like a party in your mouth.  PK has always had my favorite, but now I can make it and never have to wait until the 3rd Thursday of every month before I get my favorite tasty soup.  I hope you try it, and love it as much as I do.  It makes a huge pot, which is even better because I LOVE leftovers. 


I have four green peppers pictured, but only ended up using three.


Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
1 lb. ground beef (I used venison)
3 green peppers, diced into bite sized pieces
2 small onions, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and Pepper
32 oz. can reduced sodium beef broth
1 beef boullion cube (optional)
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
26 oz. can Cambell's tomato soup
1-6 oz. can tomato paste
1.5 to 2 cups cooked Quinoa (you could sub rice; cook the Quinoa according to the package directions, but 1 cup dry should be around 2 cups cooked.)

On a stove-top over medium-high heat, brown meat in stock pot with onions, garlic, salt and pepper.  Add green peppers and cook until slightly tender (about 10 minutes).  Then add the remaining ingredients, except the Quinoa.  Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes, then add the quinoa and serve.

I used venison, which is very lean and did not need to drain my meat.  This turned out better than I could have dreamed!!!



Brown Sig

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I have a recipe for this soup and come to think of it, I haven't used it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently discovered a similar recipe and love it as well! I've made it several times in the last few months! Adam, who normally doesn't like green peppers, even enjoys it since the peppers get so soft. Super YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami - Sounds like you should make it soon. I bet it would be just as good w/out the Quinoa or rice. ;) I cannot wait to make your spanikopita meatballs! :) I am in search of a good tatziki sauce recipe for them.

    Becca - That's good to hear Adam likes it. :O) It's one of my favorites. My mom always made stuffed green peppers growing up, and I would mash them and add broth to the soup base she used, lol. Now, I'm going to skip that trouble and just do this!

    ReplyDelete